Wednesday, October 1, 2014

For-profit (1 oct)

Jelani Pritchard
Professor Werry
1 Oct 2014
Reading Response
In the video that discusses how for-profit universities operate, I found it completely surprising how expensive tuition was for a for-profit university. I could not believe how similar a school operated as if it was a business. To be honest I was pretty provoked after finding how schools recruited teenagers who sought out an education and then leaving them out to dry in debt. Knowing some of my friends or former class mates making a commitment to attend a for-profit university now irritates me and leaves me with great sympathy for them. They basically became another victim of the business. It seems like a scam how the schools run and treat the students.
An impression of the for-profit universities I had before watching the video was thinking that schools like Grand Canyon University were a school that helped financially and ran more like a career school. Both are technically true but very flawed. They may seem helpful but they are actually evil and will scam you for your money. It has definitely altered my perspective on for-profit schools. I now understand what is going on and how things are ran. With the information I hold now, I will try to convince or talk to anyone who is a potential victim in attending a for-profit school unless they are financially able to pay for the expensive tuition.  

I believe that learning more about how students can avoid this scam may help potential victims in the future. Also, finding out if all for-profit schools run the same way as schools such as GCU can be discussed. It is important to acknowledge our problems and then attack it from the source (in my opinion). I am interested in finding a way to stop the for-profit schools draining money from students who just want an education to succeed instead of trying to run like a business and take advantage of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment